Masters Champion Dustin Johnson Among 12 Players to Punch Their Tickets to the 2021 PGA Championship
Since the 2020 PGA Championship at TPC Harding Park concluded, players have had a chance to earn a spot
It’s been more than 3 months since Collin Morikawa won the 2020 PGA Championship, in just his second Major Championship start, at TPC Harding Park in San Francisco.
The Masters Tournament, the final men's Major Championship of 2021, produced a record-breaking performance by World No. 1 Dustin Johnson, who had already punched his ticket to the PGA Championship in 2021 by finishing in the top-15 at TPC Harding Park, has won 3 times since August.
Additionally, Jim Herman, Jon Rahm, Bryson DeChambeau, Stewart Cink, Hudson Swafford, Sergio Garcia, Martin Laird, Jason Kokrak, Patrick Cantlay, Brian Gay and Carlos Ortiz have won on the PGA Tour since the the conclusion of the 2020 PGA Championship and earned a spot in the 2021 PGA Championship at The Ocean Course at Kiawah Island (S.C.) Golf Resort.
Winners of PGA TOUR co-sponsored or approved tournaments, from the 2020 Wyndham Championship through the 2021 PGA Championship, are eligible to compete next May.
DeChambeau and Rahm also finished in the top 15 at TPC Harding Park in August and had already earned a spot in the 2021 PGA Championship. The top 15 finishers and ties from the 2020 PGA Championship earn a spot in 2021.
Additionally, the PGA of America has approved the below list of players that are eligible to compete in the 101st PGA Championship:
1. All former winners of the PGA Championship.
2. Winners of the last five Masters (2017 – 2021).
3. Winners of the last five U.S. Opens (2016 – 2020).
4. Winners of the last five Open Championships (2015 – 2019).
5. Winners of the last three Players Championships (2019 – 2021)
6. The top 15 finishers and ties from the 2020 PGA Championship.
7. The top 20 finishers from the 2021 PGA Professional Championship.
8. The top 70 players who have earned the most PGA Championship Points from the 2020 FedEx St Jude Invitational/Barracuda Championship through the 2021 Wells Fargo Championship (ending May 9, 2021).
9. Playing members of the last-named U.S. and European Ryder Cup teams (2018) provided they remain within the top 100 on the Official World Golf Rankings as of May 9, 2021.
10. Winners of PGA TOUR co-sponsored or approved tournaments, whose victories are considered official, from the 2020 Wyndham Championship to the 2021 PGA Championship.
11. The PGA of America reserves the right to invite additional players not included in the categories listed above.
12. If necessary to complete the field, those players beyond the top 70 players who have earned the most PGA Championship Points from the 2020 FedEx St Jude Invitational / Barracuda Championship through the 2021 Wells Fargo Championship ending May 9, 2021 in order of their position on such a list.
The 2021 PGA Championship will be played from May 17-23. It will be the second time the PGA Championship has been staged on The Ocean Course. Rory McIlroy won in 2012 by a PGA Championship-record 8 strokes.