8 players punch their tickets to the 2021 PGA Championship
Since the 2020 PGA Championship at TPC Harding Park concluded, players have had a chance to earn a spot
It’s been more than 9 weeks since Collin Morikawa won the 2020 PGA Championship at TPC Harding Park in San Francisco, and the fall golf season on the PGA Tour is in full swing.
Since that Sunday in August, 8 additional players have punched their ticket to the 2021 PGA Championship at The Ocean Course at Kiawah Island (S.C.) Golf Resort.
Jim Herman, Dustin Johnson (twice), Jon Rahm, Bryson DeChambeau, Stewart Cink, Hudson Swafford, Sergio Garcia and Martin Laird have won on the PGA Tour since the conclusion of the 2020 PGA Championship.
Laird, who won Shriners Hospitals for Children Open in a playoff on Sunday, will be playing in his 7th PGA Championship, with his best finish a tie for 42nd 2012.
Winners of PGA TOUR co-sponsored or approved tournaments, from the 2020 Wyndham Championship through the 2021 PGA Championship, are eligible to compete next May.
DeChambeau, Johnson and Rahm finished in the top 15 at TPC Harding Park in August and had already earned a spot in the 2021 PGA Championship. The top 15 finishers and ties from the 2020 PGA Championship earn a spot in 2021.
Additionally, the PGA of America has approved the below list of players that are eligible to compete in the 101st PGA Championship:
1. All former winners of the PGA Championship.
2. Winners of the last five Masters (2017 – 2021).
3. Winners of the last five U.S. Opens (2016 – 2020).
4. Winners of the last five Open Championships (2015 – 2019).
5. Winners of the last three Players Championships (2019 – 2021)
6. The top 15 finishers and ties from the 2020 PGA Championship.
7. The top 20 finishers from the 2021 PGA Professional Championship.
8. The top 70 players who have earned the most PGA Championship Points from the 2020 FedEx St Jude Invitational/Barracuda Championship through the 2021 Wells Fargo Championship (ending May 9, 2021).
9. Playing members of the last-named U.S. and European Ryder Cup teams (2018) provided they remain within the top 100 on the Official World Golf Rankings as of May 9, 2021.
10. Winners of PGA TOUR co-sponsored or approved tournaments, whose victories are considered official, from the 2020 Wyndham Championship to the 2021 PGA Championship.
11. The PGA of America reserves the right to invite additional players not included in the categories listed above.
12. If necessary to complete the field, those players beyond the top 70 players who have earned the most PGA Championship Points from the 2020 FedEx St Jude Invitational / Barracuda Championship through the 2021 Wells Fargo Championship ending May 9, 2021 in order of their position on such a list.
The 2021 PGA Championship will be played from May 17-23. It will be the second time the PGA Championship has been staged on The Ocean Course. Rory McIlroy won in 2012 by a PGA Championship-record 8 strokes.