Last updated: November 11, 2020
Overview - Categories and Sources of Information
- We collect personally identifiable information from Users of our Service when it is voluntarily provided by you, such as your name and email address (see Information We Collect below). We use such information to contact you directly and other purposes described in How We Use the Information and Information Sharing and Disclosure below.
- We automatically collect browsing information and other non-personally identifiable information from Users of our Service and from third parties with whom we work, such as our broadcast partner NBCUniversal. This information includes information about your browsing activities and information about the device you use to access the Service (see Information We Collect below). We use such information to customize the Service for you and other purposes described in How We Use the Information and Information Sharing and Disclosure below.
- This information is collected to provide, manage, analyze and improve the features and functions available on or through this Service and other services, for marketing purposes and for the PGA’s and its affiliates’ internal business purposes.
- You can know, access, delete and control certain uses of your information, including opting out of any sales of your personal information (see User Rights - Data Access and Opt-Out below).
I. Information We Collect.
1. Information You Provide To Us.
At some Services, you can register, order products, enter contests, vote in polls or otherwise express an opinion, subscribe to one of our services such as our online newsletters or alerts, participate in golfing activities, connect with other people or services or participate in one of our online forums or communities. In the course of these various offerings, we often seek to collect from you various forms of information, such as: name, address, e-mail address, telephone number and other personally identifiable information.
If payment details are required, such as credit card information when making a purchase through the Services, such information will be collected directly by our service provider and not by the PGA. Such service provider is required by the PGA to only use the payment details for purposes of that transaction with you.
2. Information That is Passively or Automatically Collected.
We, and our "Partners" who include third party service providers, broadcast partners (such as NBCUniversal), other golf organizations, advertisers, advertising networks and platforms, agencies, and distribution or other partners may use automated means to collect various types of Information about you, your device used to access, or in connection with, our Services. A representative, non-exhaustive list of the types of automatically collected information may include: network or Internet protocol address and type of browser you are using (e.g., Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Internet Explorer), the type of operating system you are using, (e.g., Microsoft Windows or Mac OS), the name of your Internet service provider (e.g., Comcast, Verizon or AT&T) and domains used by such providers, mobile network, device identifiers (such as an Apple IDFA or an Android Advertising ID), device settings, device attributes, browser settings, the web pages of the Services you have visited, Services visited before and after you visit a Service, the type of handheld or mobile device used to view the Service (e.g., iOS, Android), location information, and the content and advertisements you have accessed, seen, forwarded and/or clicked on. Please see our Section titled Cookies, and Other User and Ad-Targeting Technologies for more information about how the foregoing Information may be collected and used.
3. Geo-location Information.
If you are accessing a Service from a mobile device or through a mobile application, you may be asked to share your precise (GPS level) geo-location information with us so we can customize your experience on our Services or on other Services, when we work with a Partner such as a third party mobile ad platform. You may also choose to provide your location, such as when searching for a golf course or services in a particular area or customizing the Service. If you agree to such collection, in most cases, you will be able to turn off such data collection at any time by accessing the privacy settings of your mobile device and/or through the settings in the applicable mobile application.
4. Information Collected By and From Social Media Services and Other Third Party Platforms.
II. How We Use the Information.
We, along with our Partners, may use the Information to:
- provide and communicate with you about the Services or your account with us,
- fulfill your requests regarding the Services, including without limitation requests for newsletters and notifications,
- respond to your inquiries,
- communicate with you about other products, programs or services that we believe may be of interest to you,
- enforce the legal terms (including without limitation our policies and Terms of Service) that govern your use of our Services, and/or for the purposes for which you provided the Information,
- provide technical support for the Services,
- prevent fraud or potentially illegal activities (including, without limitation, copyright infringement) on or through the Services,
- protect the safety of our Users,
- customize or personalize ads, offers and content made available to you based on your visits to and/or usage of the Services or other online or mobile websites, applications, platforms or services, and analyze the performance of those ads, offers and content, as well as your interaction with them, or
- perform analysis regarding how you use the Services or any part thereof.
We or a Partner may use "cookies" or similar technologies to associate certain of the Information with a unique identifier that then associates the Information with your device or browser. For information about how these technologies work and how we may use them, please go to Section IV, titled Cookies, And Other User And Ad-Targeting Technologies. Sometimes, we may associate cookies with the Information, including de-identified, "hashed,"" or anonymous versions of Information you have provided (such as during registration), in order to send or help our Partners send ads and offers based on your presumed interests or demographic information. We may combine any of the Information we collect, for any of the above purposes, and may sometimes enhance the Information with other information that we obtain from third party sources. Please also be aware that if you choose to submit Information or content for publication (e.g., a letter to our editors, comments sent to our television personalities, a posting to a blog or a discussion board, or a video), we may publish that Information and content, along with other Information about you (such as your name, screen name or location). Likewise, if you register and create a profile with our Service, the screen name you select as well as other content you submit to your profile (e.g., photos, comments, video, reviews) will be displayed publicly on the Service, is searchable, can be found by third parties and may be reused and redistributed by us in our sole discretion. See our Terms of Service for details on our use of content you submit.
III. Information Sharing and Disclosure.
We may disclose the Information as follows:
IV. Cookies and Other User and Ad-Targeting Technologies.
2. Syncing Cookies and Identifiers. We may work with our Partners (for instance, third party ad platforms) to synchronize unique, anonymous identifiers (such as those associated with cookies) in order to match our Partners' uniquely coded user identifiers to our own. We may do this, for instance, to enhance data points about a particular unique browser or device, and thus enable us or others to send ads that are more relevant, match Users to their likely product interests, or better synchronize, cap, or optimize advertising.
We may work with certain third-party companies that use techniques other than HTTP cookies to recognize your device and/or to collect and record information about your web surfing activity, including those integrated with our Services. Please keep in mind that your web browser may not permit you to block the use of these techniques, and those browser settings that block conventional cookies may have no effect on such techniques. To learn more about Interest-Based Advertising or to opt-out of this type of advertising by those third parties that are members of DAA's opt-out program, please go to //www.aboutads.info.
4. Web Beacons. We and our Partners may also use "web beacons" or clear GIFs, or similar technologies, which are small pieces of code placed on a Service or in an email, to monitor the behavior and collect data about the visitors viewing a Service or email. For example, web beacons may be used to count the users who visit a web page or to deliver a cookie to the browser of a visitor viewing that Service. Web beacons may also be used to provide information on the effectiveness of our email campaigns (e.g., open rates, clicks, forwards, etc.).
6. Mobile Device Identifiers. In connection with any mobile app that we offer as part of the Services, we may collect Information such as mobile identifiers (e.g., IDFAs and Android Advertising IDs), and Information connected to how mobile devices interact with our Services and those using our Services. We may use this technology to deliver or help our Partners deliver certain advertising through mobile applications and browsers based on information associated with your mobile device. If you'd like to opt-out from having ads tailored to you in this way on your mobile device, please follow the instructions in the "Your Ad Choices" section below.
By visiting the Service, whether as a registered user or otherwise, you acknowledge, and agree that you are giving us your consent to track your activities and your use of the Service through the technologies described above, as well as similar technologies developed in the future, and that we may use such tracking technologies in the emails we send to you.
Our unaffiliated Partners and third parties may themselves set and access their own tracking technologies when you visit our Services and they may have access to information about you and your online activities over time and across different websites or applications when you use the Service. Their use of such tracking technologies is not in our control and is subject to their own privacy policies.
V. Your Ad Choices.
Advertising enables us to provide the rich content for which the Services are known, and to provide much of this content free of cost to our Users. Thus, we strive to provide you with ads that are relevant to you and for products you may want.
However, we also offer you choices with regard to interest-based ads. To learn more about interest-based ads and the choices available to you, please visit the Digital Advertising Alliance (the "DAA") at the DAA consumer choice Service. To the extent data is collected on this Service for interest-based advertising, we will adhere to the DAA's principles applicable to interest-based ads.
The tools provided on the DAA opt-out page are provided by third parties, not us. We do not control or operate these tools or the choices that advertisers and others provide through these tools. When using a mobile application you may receive tailored in-application advertisements. Depending on your device, you may be able to reset your mobile device's advertising identifier at any time by accessing the privacy settings on your mobile device. In addition, each operating system, iOS for Apple phones, Android for Android devices and Windows for Microsoft devices, provides its own instructions on how to prevent the delivery of tailored in-application advertisements. You may review the support materials and/or the privacy settings for the respective operating systems in order to opt-out of tailored in-application advertisements. For any other devices and/or operating systems, please visit the privacy settings for the applicable device or contact (or review the applicable privacy web page of) the applicable platform operator.
At this time the Services do not recognize automated browser signals regarding tracking mechanisms, which may include "do not track" instructions.
VI. User Rights - Data Access and Opt-Out.
1. User Rights.
A. General Rights: We provide you with choices regarding the Information you provide to us.
- Emails - If you have signed up to receive our marketing e-mails and prefer not to receive marketing information from this Service, follow the "unsubscribe" instructions provided on any marketing e-mail you receive from this Service.
- Cookies – You may delete or block cookies and other technologies by following the instructions above.
B. California Rights: California law provides California residents with specific rights regarding their personal information. The California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (“CCPA”) defines “personal information” as information that identifies, relates to, describes, references, or is reasonably capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a particular consumer or household. This section describes the rights that California residents have with respect to such personal information and explains how to exercise those rights, subject in all cases to any limitations set forth in the CCPA. Please refer to the sections above for more detail about the types of information collected, the purposes for which and sources from where we collect personal information, and the third parties with whom we share personal information.
- Personal Information -
- Right to Delete - If you would like to delete the personal information we possess about you, you may complete our privacy request form
- Right to Know Categories & Information - If you would like to receive the categories of personal information collected about you, the categories of sources from which the personal information is collected, the purpose for collecting and selling the personal information, the categories of third parties which whom we share the personal information and the specific pieces of personal information collected about you, then you may complete our privacy request form
- Do Not Sell My Personal Information - If you would like us to simply not sell your personal information to a third party, as defined in the CCPA, then you may opt out of such disclosures by completing our privacy request form
We will maintain procedures to verify that you are authorized to make the requests set forth above. You may designate an authorized agent to make these requests by informing us, though we will need to verify that such agent has the authority to act on your behalf.
We do not discriminate against you for exercising any of your rights above, though we are not able to provide some Services to you without receiving such information.
C. Nevada Rights: Consumers in the State of Nevada have the right to opt out of the sale of personal information processed by us, as defined under Nevada law. To exercise such legal rights, please complete the privacy request form.
D. European Union Data Subject Rights. If you are a situated in the EU, under the General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”), as a data subject, you have the following rights:
- Right to access – This right allows individuals to obtain confirmation as to whether or not personal data concerning him or her is being process and provide access to such personal data. It also allows individuals to request details of the processing of his or her personal data, including, without limitation, categories of recipients to whom the personal data have been or will be disclosed and purposes of processing.
- Right to rectify – This right allows individuals to rectify any inaccurate personal data about him or her.
- Right to restrict processing – This right allows individuals to block or suppress processing of personal data under certain circumstances.
- Right to be forgotten – This right is also known as the “right to erasure”. It is an individual’s right to have personal data erased or to prevent processing in specific circumstances.
- Right of data portability – This right allows individuals to move, copy or transfer personal data from one place to another in a secure manner without interrupting the integrity and usability of the information.
- Right to object to processing – This right allows individuals to object to certain types of processing, including direct marketing, profiling and providing for purposes of scientific or historical research and statistics.
Additionally, if we rely on consent for the processing of your personal data, you have the right to withdraw it at any time and free of charge. When you do so, this will not affect the lawfulness of the processing before your consent withdrawal.
To exercise your rights under the GDPR, please complete the privacy request form. If you are in a situation in the EU and have any complaints regarding our privacy practices, you have the right to complain to the relevant data protection authorities.
2. Verify Requests.
Please note that in order for you to assert these rights, we may need to verify your identity to confirm your right to access your Information. This is a security measure to ensure that Information is not disclosed to any person who has no right to receive it.
3. International Transfer.
4. Data Security.
We have put in place physical, electronic, and managerial procedures designed to help prevent unauthorized access to or use of the Information we collect through the Service. These safeguards vary based on the sensitivity of the Information that we collect and store.
5. How to Contact Us.
The Professional Golfers’ Association of America
100 Avenue of the Champions
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida 33418
Attn: .COM Championship Privacy
You may also contact us regarding your privacy at (877) 410-7865
Please complete the privacy request form
VII. Third Party Sites.
Some of the Services contain links to other services such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and other media services and platforms whose information practices may be different than ours. Users should consult these other services' privacy notices as we have no control over information that is submitted to, or collected by, these third parties.
VIII. Updates & Effective Date.
IX: Information Automatically Collected In The PGA Championship On-Site Guide - Official Mobile App
When you use the App, we automatically collect specific data that are required for the use of the App. This data includes:
- Location, accuracy and date/time periodically throughout the day (only while at the attraction)
- Each visit to the resort including date/time first seen and last seen
- Operating system
- Operating system version
- Device name
- Battery level
- Battery status (charging or not)
- Bluetooth status (on or off)
- Mobile network carrier name
- Currently connected Wi-Fi SSID
- Location permission status (on or off)
- IP address
- User's preferred locale
- Current time zone
- App version and build number
- App interactions (captured as events fed to Firebase Analytics and Keen IO)
- Date/time entered/exited geofence region (if you enter an offered geofence region)
This data is automatically sent to us, (1) so that we can make the service and the associated functions available to you; (2) to improve the functions and features of the App and (3) to prevent misuse and to rectify malfunctions and (4) to offer you a personalized guest experience. This data processing is justified on the basis that (1) the processing is required in order to fulfil the requirements of the contract between you as the data subject and us in accordance with Art. 6(1)(b) GDPR for the use of the App, or (2) we have a legitimate interest in guaranteeing the functionality and fault-free operation of the App and being able to offer a service that is in line with the requirements of the market and with the interests of the users and prevails over your rights and interests in the protection of your personal data in accordance with Art. 6(1)(f) GDPR